Green Schools Alliance connects and empowers champions who are creating healthy and sustainable schools.
- We make it easy to connect and learn how to foster healthy and sustainable schools.
- We provide space for individuals to collaborate as a group to organize school, club, district, or community sustainability efforts.
- We offer the framework for schools and districts to show their leadership in conserving resources, mitigating climate change, and preparing the next generation of global citizens.
- We provide the programs, trainings, and tools for sustainability champions to engage schools in creating measurable change.
We envision a world where every person is aware of and accountable for the impact they have in creating an environmentally, economically and equitably sustainable future.
Green Schools Alliance redefines how schools approach sustainability education and action, by creating and offering tools and programs to make it easier for schools to do more. Originally developed as a network created by schools for schools, the Alliance has evolved to provide integrated and organized support to students, school professionals, schools, and districts to foster sustainability work.
All of our programs are scaled and developed from member ideas to make them more accessible for other member schools. The Alliance conducts work via our international coalition of schools, rooted in the idea that collaboration among schools brings the greatest change for sustainable learning environments and communities.
THE ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND
Since 2007, the Alliance has grown organically, now with members from nearly 8,000 public and private schools in 43 U.S. states and 57 countries, representing more than 5 million students and almost a billion square feet of buildings. Learn about our history.
The Alliance is unique in supporting the school sustainability “champion” - the official or unofficial leader forging sustainable learning and solutions in the school community. These champions - our members - include sustainability coordinators, students, principals and heads, faculty, facility managers, business officers, procurement professionals, and other administrators and staff.
Schools are hubs of communities worldwide, and the Alliance uses its collective power to bring to scale programs that transform markets, policy, education, and behavior. Acting as a catalyst, the Alliance empowers schools to reduce climate and ecological impacts, connect people to nature and place, and educate and empower the next generation. Members range from small rural schools in India to the largest public school districts in the United States (GSA District Collaborative includes 23 districts including 8 of the 12 largest) as well as many other international day and boarding schools. As Alliance members, sustainability champions and their schools and districts set sustainability goals, take action, track and share progress, and put their passions into action.
"'Going green' means so many things to different people, and despite our genuine commitment to sustainability, we were having difficulty focusing our efforts. Working with the Alliance has allowed us to find a community of like-minded schools and set challenging, but reasonable, goals."– Julian Bull, Campbell Hall School, California
Read More Testimonials
OUR FOCUS AREAS
- Membership Engagement - The Alliance provides the only online community that is focused on helping members think globally and act locally to improve K-12 schools sustainability.
- Measurement, Reporting, Recognition - The Alliance is redeveloping its reporting system to standardize K-12 sustainability metrics with beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels designed to lead schools through their sustainability journey.
- Youth Leadership Development - Students cultivate leadership skills and STEAM content knowledge through the Alliance’s programs and project-based learning.
- Professional Development - School and district professionals access opportunities for training, mentorship, and local programs to develop their sustainability leadership skills.
- Collective Influence - Member schools and districts benefit from collective purchasing power to save money on products and services and to make environmentally friendly options more affordable.